featured image

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - not many games get two remakes

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes – is there a new remake coming? (photo: Konami)

The Thursday letters page expects a disappointment from September’s state of affairs, as two readers admit to being mafia fans.

To participate in the discussions email gamecentral@metro.co.uk

sensible remake
So the rumors that Metal Gear Solid is getting a new remaster collection are back? It seems that Konami rumors are just like the Switch Pro: everyone talks about it, but they never happen. I can’t get excited about more remasters, but I’d definitely be interested in a remake of the first.

I totally agreed with GC’s The Last Of Us Part 1 review, in that remakes are sometimes very helpful, even necessary, but you have to know when they make sense. Obviously The Last Of Us doesn’t, but the original Metal Gear Solid looks awful by modern standards and it’s highly unlikely anyone new to the series would want to play it given the graphics, controls and difficulty.

To me, a remake on every level makes sense, including the fact that Konami apparently wants to get back into games, so I always thought the rumors of a PlayStation exclusive remake were very believable. We’ve never heard of it, but maybe there was a delay due to the pandemic? I hope this year we find out that it’s true.
pectate

The sign
I am compelled to write about the utter futility that is the remake of The Last Of Us. A game that I honestly cherished just as much as in the previous editions. Was interested to read your review to better understand a reason why it exists and as you mentioned briefly, the only logical reason is to wring money out of bored consumers (as always).

I wish people wouldn’t keep falling for it, otherwise game companies have no reason to stop treating us with contempt. I am very curious if it is a success. Just wondering – you said in the review that a lot of money has been invested in the game. Any idea how much it needs to sell to be a success?
Chris

GC: You’ll be in luck if Sony says how much it’s sold, let alone whether it’s profitable. But when you see it on sale before the end of the year, you know it didn’t go so well.

blood brothers
I’m not sure what Sony really gets out of owning such a relatively small share of FromSoftware. They’re not the majority and they certainly don’t own the company that owns them, so what influence do they really get?

I assume some wouldn’t do it otherwise, but I hope this means more Bloodborne. The way that game has been completely ignored in recent years makes it seem a lot more like Sony and From had a fight, so maybe this is meant as a way to get them back together.

Given the massive epidemic of remakes, I don’t want that for Bloodborne, but I’d appreciate a real 60fps PlayStation 5 patch and… a sequel. I agree that this is the best PlayStation exclusive ever and I’d love to see another even more than Elden Ring 2.
Echo

Email your comments to: gamecentral@metro.co.uk

slow news year
So the first God Of War: Ragnarök news in over a year isn’t even getting a PlayStation Blog post, let alone a state of affairs?! You couldn’t make this up. Mainly because I don’t really feel like I learned anything important from that preview.

I see rumors that Sony will have a state of play in September, but for Ragnarök they will at least have one in October. My question is if they will talk about anything else. I’m going to beat them, probably not and at best it will be The Games Awards in December before we hear anything new from Sony.

Microsoft probably too, in case anyone thinks I’m a fanboy.
Tablet

thug live
In response to the reader’s question about the mafia’s call. For me, while they were open world games in a city where you steal vehicles, get involved in shootings and other things you can do in GTA, I never saw them as a GTA competitor, but as their own thing.

Sure, the city was open world, but it was used more as a setting for the story, kind of akin to LA Noire in that way. All you really do in the city, outside of the main missions, is drive to the next mission. I really like it this way though, because you can really soak up the atmosphere. I would highly recommend the Mafia Definitive Edition if you want to experience it.
Angry_Kurt (Twitter)
Now playing: F1 Manager 2022 (PC) and GRID Legends (PS5)

Strictly average
RE: Saints Row. The game has problems. However, I don’t believe it’s nearly as bad as everyone says. It’s a welcome break for me from playing GTA, which I stopped playing years ago. I’m waiting, like everyone else, to play GTA 6, which no one knows when it will come out. Usually such games come out with the onset of new consoles, this time it didn’t.

However, I also didn’t play the whole game from start to finish over the weekend. I have a life outside my apartment. We also live in a time when game glitches can be easily fixed with patches and updates. This game will be no different. There have been bugs in my game and I have already downloaded updates for it. That’s how it goes sometimes in the modern game world, when you’re dealing with a huge open world game. There will be disruptions.

However, I think a lot of people, including yourself, expect this game to be some sort of breaking news, something that changes the world. Every game won’t be, and you guys have to get over it. Some games will be below average, some games will be average and some games will be incredible.

This game is about average, but you expected it to be something phenomenal that you’ve never seen before, and so your thoughts are where they are, which is just unreasonable.
Anonymously

GC: We expected it to be entertaining, which it generally wasn’t.

Free today
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and Submerged Hidden Depths are both free from 4pm today on the Epic Games Store. They have not been given away by Epic Games Store before. I originally enjoyed Shadow Of The Tomb Raider on Xbox One X a lot.

Mafia 1, the original, is also available for free on Steam for five days today. I really enjoyed it 20 years ago when I played and completed it on PC, and I also enjoyed Mafia 2, but not so much. Mafia 3 was pretty good but I prefer 1 and 2.
Andreas J.
Currently playing: Mark Of Kri (PS5)

second renaissance
So if Sony makes such a big push with the PlayStation VR2, can we expect all of their big games to get VR modes? That makes sense, but I’m not sure how much extra work that would require. I’d like to see Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank and Returnal in VR though. In my opinion, third-person games work just as well as first person, in that you have a lot more freedom to look around and don’t feel so locked in because your view is already a bit zoomed out.

There was that strange period, just when the first PlayStation VR came out when everyone was doing little VR minigames for their big games, Call Of Duty had one, there was the Star Wars version and I think a Final Fantasy game too. Sony had obviously talked the publishers around as they’ve never done anything like that again, but I wonder if they’ll try the same thing again?

I’d love it, as I’m a big VR advocate, but I’m not sure how Sony expects the end result to be different from their first headset. That was great, but it wasn’t particularly successful because of the price, which will only be more for the new one. Having a VR mode in God Of War would be great for fans, but I can’t imagine that would drive up the need much.
Akuma

Inbox is running too
I still can’t believe they gave the man who wrote Beyond: Two Souls – arguably the dumbest story ever written, in any medium – a Star Wars game to make. Are they purposefully trying to make The Rise of Skywalker look good by comparison?
loopy

Going on the logic that it’s best to recreate something that didn’t quite work the first time, I’d rather they recreate Assassin’s Creed Syndicate. I was really looking forward to winning the set in Victorian London, but it was just a bit janky and boring.
Globo

This week’s hot topic
The topic for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Pinky, who asks what do you do when you’re stuck in a video game?

As technology has changed, so has the way people deal with difficult games, either because they’re stuck in a puzzle, don’t know where to go, or simply because it’s too hard. So what do you usually do? Looking for text-based help online, watching a video, asking a friend, or something else?

Do you still buy physical guides and if so, is that mainly for help with playing the game or more as a collector’s item?

Email your comments to: gamecentral@metro.co.uk

The fine print
New Inbox updates appear every weekday morning, with special Hot Topic Inboxes on the weekend. Letters from readers are used on a merit basis and can be edited for length and content.

You can also submit your own 500 to 600 word Reader feature at any time via email or our Submit Stuff page, which, if used, will be featured on the next available weekend.

You can also leave your comments below and don’t forget to do so follow us on twitter.

MORE : Games Inbox: MultiVersus Game of the Year 2022, Assassin’s Creed 1 Remake and Zelda RPG

MORE: Games Inbox: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare pre-orders, Rage 2 vs. Mad Max, and Sonic Frontiers demo

MORE: Games Inbox: Saints Row and the Worst Game of 2022, Dead Island 2 Surprise and GTA 6 Unofficial Chat

Follow Metro Gaming on Twitter and email us at gamecentral@metro.co.uk

To make it easier to submit letters to your Inbox and Reader’s Features without sending an email, use our Stuff Stuff page here.

For more such stories, check out our Gaming page.