featured image

The rules

1. Two in-game weeks to collect information on most Soviet outposts.
2. Try to find as many senior officers as possible.
3. Just observe. The Soviet army can never know I was there.

This is a debriefing from Flaming Buffalo (I arrived late to assign the code name), of reconnaissance in the Soviet army controlled region of Afghanistan. I was given two weeks to navigate and gather as much information as possible about the USSR’s presence before the arrival of Big Boss. He’s a busy man, you know – it’s not like he can be in two places at once. finally.

I was helicoptered in at 1800 hours near Spugmay Keep at the southernmost point of the region, intending to navigate the entire outer rim. On foot I made my way to the nearest small sentry, where I positioned myself on a ridge with a view from above. I spent a whole day watching this paltry camp learning all about their operation and let me tell you that these Soviet soldiers are a disciplined bunch. They hardly sleep, hardly talk and certainly don’t take a break. When the one and only sandstorm of my two-week excursion came in, she barely cringed. If we find out they’re all robots, I wouldn’t be surprised.

(Image credit: Konami)

On my way north I came to a larger settlement called Da Shago Kallai with a dozen soldiers, although something I would learn is pretty standard in their profession is the use of decoys. This time I planted myself in an abandoned house on the edge of town, which was convenient for its proximity and great view, but also because it made it a little easier to rest and pass the time.