The GameSir X2 Pro is the recently updated Microsoft licensed USB-C version of the GameSir X2 that we reviewed a while ago with a slew of upgrades added to it and thrown in a free month of XBOX Game Pass to boot.

TL;DR – I like it. Write this review under embargo from 10 days ago. Will update if anything changes but I suspect not.

Differences between the GameSir X2 and GameSir X2 Pro

  • 2 additional assignable buttons
  • Magnetic detachable ABXY buttons
  • Reassignable Buttons
  • Two sets of replacement joystick caps (concave and convex)
  • Analog Triggers
  • USB-C connectivity (no charging, no Bluetooth lag)
  • Microsoft certification
  • One month free XBOX Game Pass code

What’s in the box?

GameSir X2 Pro in action

I’m pitting this against a professional Microsoft controller, my old man’s personal playstyle, and while the X2 Pro doesn’t win, it’s not quite as immersive as other controllers. No noticeable delay. No breakthrough moments. Not feeling a hot phone on my fingers.

  • The analog triggers are on point. No complaints, although longer would be better?
  • The joysticks are fine, although I would like slightly larger points and a better downward feel
  • The bumpers are not my thing, they don’t fit me well. too clicky
  • The ABXY button placement works
  • The reassignable extra buttons no – if you’re going to include these, put something in there for me to feel. Smooth plastic on a smooth plastic back doesn’t pop when I play
  • XBOX/Select/Start buttons that I have no specific comment about
GameSir X2 Pro with a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G playing on an XBOX via remote play
GameSir X2 Pro with a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G playing on an XBOX via remote play

I plugged my phone into the GameSir X2 Pro and started arguing with my XBOX about unrelated issues. After realizing that I had to turn off my XBOX, disable the XBOX app on my phone and give up all hope that everything would work, it worked. Not the controller’s fault, but I went to test in a pretty bad mood.

The controller surprised me. It’s not a great XBOX controller, but it’s really very usable. I had no idea how much I was missing out on the on/off triggers until I started playing a few games that used them. Ah yes, I can race again.

Room for improvement

You can’t put your phone in a case, at least I can’t with the S21 Ultra and a rather slim Moment Case. The USB-C port is in such a location that even though it tilts, it doesn’t lift, meaning if I want to keep my case because I’m swinging a video game wildly, it won’t. deal breaker? Not really, I’ll hold back my enthusiasm.

The setup, though Microsoft, feels a lot more like Nintendo and I wish they’d given a different positioning option as a bonus. Unopened, it’s about the width of the XBOX controller (I think a little wider) and that’s where my hands want to rest. The addition of a USB-C extender and a phone clip would allow this as a controller behind your phone.

Don’t know what that means, but a few usage options would be nice.

Complaints on the X2 Pro

Most of my complaints are comparative. The grip here is subjective, and I don’t really like it. Since I like this controller more than it sounds reading my own writing, I’m probably going to see if I can get some grip tape on haptics and fix it the way I want. I’m going to say 3 cents of the tape I want will change my gripe and haptics complaints, but that’s me fixing it.

The GameSir X2 Pro hasn’t made me a significantly better gamer than I am either. I blame it entirely for my failures, not that I was playing a game on too hard mode and not really paying attention. This line is a joke in case it didn’t come across that way.

I like the X2 Pro, but the controller’s specific layout lends itself to different games than I currently play… I think… maybe I should remap mentally.

Availability

Since this is being written over a week in advance and going live at the end of the embargo, the links below may not work initially, but you can head over to the GameSir website and locate them if they don’t.

Links I have are:

Amazon US: The GameSir X2 Pro (midnight) and (moonlight).
Amazon United Kingdom (Midnight and Moonlight)

Pocketables does not accept targeted ads, fake guest posts, paid reviews, etc. Help us keep it that way with support on Patreon!

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

GameSir X2 Pro
GameSir X2 Pro - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

The GameSir X2 Pro is a USB-C Android-only Microsoft-certified game controller that comes with one month of XBOX Game Pass. It’s a serious improvement over its predecessor, bringing analog triggers, interchangeable joystick tips and a more professional control feel.

Product Brand: GameSir

Product currency: U.S. dollar

Product price: 79.99

Product in stock: In stock

Pros

  • Analog Triggers
  • Microsoft certification
  • Grip is good for a Switch
  • Fits most Android phones

cons

  • Lack of haptic feel on programmable buttons
  • Bumpers feel wrong
  • Grip is not XBOX controller style
  • Case must be removed
  • Android only
  • Controller reassignment app