featured image

I’m not part of the audience Disney Dreamlight Valley feels designed for. The games I normally enjoy are shooters or action games. Things I can win or lose with, with cool trailers, character skill caps, and multiplayer capabilities. I’m not a Disney obsession, although I think the odd Pixar movie is good enough. And yet I’m addicted to Disney Dreamlight Valley and it’s taking over my brain.

It’s the perfect cozy little adventure I wanted without knowing it. I play it on-stream, off-stream, chatting with friends on Discord and even muted while watching YouTube videos in the middle of the night. There’s something so mind-blowingly good about Disney Dreamlight Valley that I’ve yet to understand, while also acknowledging that I despise a handful of its design decisions and want Mickey Mouse to jump off a cliff with a ceremonial “ah-ha.”

I didn’t know what to expect from Disney Dreamlight Valley. I’d never heard of its development, which is strange considering I’m so invested in games, and I couldn’t imagine how a Disney game could work so well that my colleague Lauren Aitken would give it the “perfect Stardew Valley/Animal Crossing life-sim hybrid (opens in new tab)“. So why did I start playing Disney Dreamlight Valley? It’s because I wanted to try and understand it.

(Image credit: Gameloft)

Life sims often have a short and sweet honeymoon. It’s the way Animal Crossing: New Horizons works when you first land on the island and know that you have so much to do, so much to accomplish in a short space of time. Eventually the days get harder to feel like I’ve made progress, and I’m giving up because my island will never be as beautiful as the one I see on TikTok.