featured image

Nolan North is one of the biggest names in the video game industry. His voice is all over it, with some iconic roles in gaming like Nathan Drake in the not mapped series, Assassin’s Creed‘s Desmond Miles and Ghost in Lot 2.

It’s not just games, though. North has been instrumental in animated shows such as Star Trek: Lower Deck and young justiceand he even makes an occasional appearance in movies, such as his cameo in the recent not mapped movie starring Tom Holland. He also provides the voices of several important heroes in the DC animation world.

North also has a history with Marvel, having originally voiced Deadpool in the character’s solo video game from 2013. More recently, he played Tony Stark in Troubled. from Square Enix avengers avengers game, which received a remarkably mixed reception.

Now the actor has commented on his experience with Square’s recent title as well as how he would like to revisit it Deadpool.

Nolan North wants Deadpool sequel

Nolan North, Deadpool Game
the direct

The Direct attended a DragonCon press conference this weekend with Nolan North, where he was asked about his voice and motion capture on not mapped, Marvel’s Avengers, and more.

Although Nolan’s most notable and acclaimed work is the not mapped franchise, one of his last roles was Iron Man in Square Enix’s avengers project. As many will know, that title was not exactly met with critical acclaim.

But how exactly does a fluctuating reception influence the actors of this type of project? The actor admitted how it “does not affect [his] no experience at all” because by the time it comes out, he’s already moved on to the following:

“[The reception] doesn’t affect my experience at all, is the short answer to that. My experience is before the game comes out. The difference between the two is that Nathan Drake is the main character. I don’t just do all the scenes, I do all the motion capture work for run, jump through fire, you know, roll, shoot, every game I set in motion, I do that. And I am in everything. With Avengers, I loved playing Tony Stark, Iron Man, I mean how cool is that? We used to joke like, “Oh, it’s Nathan Drake in the Mark 4.” But it was a different character, you know, a different kind of style, but it was an ensemble cast. So it’s like being Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man or in The Avengers.”

Regarding avengersNolan pointed out that he didn’t think the negative reception had anything to do with it “do with gigs or something”, but that he heard it had more to do with… “the mechanics of the game:”

“It’s a different dynamic when you shoot with everyone. Have fun on set working with Troy [Baker]Travis [Willingham]Jeff [Schine]Laura [Bailey] and everyone else. It was a blast, but it’s just different. You don’t feel as much responsibility as you like, you’re the main character… And I think the reaction, it had nothing to do with performances or anything. What I understand, and I’m not attacking anyone, it had a lot of problems with the mechanics of the game… And that’s what I read. It’s not an indictment of the studio or anything, I read that. And I think what’s happening is that people need to understand… I can go out and give the best performance of my life… If the game isn’t a good game, nobody’s going to play it. And you can do a great performance in a bad movie and people will say, ‘Ah, movie sucks, but man, wasn’t Phillip Seymour Hoffman great at that,’ or whatever. In a game it is first a game. And as actors we have to put our egos aside and… the play has to be good…”

Deadpool Game, Rocket
High Moon Studios

The actor noted that there “an exception” in his opinion, solid mechanics make a good game, because it Deadpool project he did in 2013. Reminiscing about the title, North even revealed that it originally even had an original song titled “F’ you, legally:”

“I mean, the only exception, as far as I know, was” [the] Deadpool [game]. It had simple mechanics and fights and everything, but it was so funny and ridiculous… People don’t even realize it. They actually wrote a song that should be in it called ‘F’ you, legal.’ And it wasn’t ‘F.’ It was literally to their legal team that kept saying, ‘No, you can’t do this, you can’t do that.’ And Deadpool does a whole song and dance song about it. And it was one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. The guys who wrote that, it was hysterical.”

But did North ever really sing it? Yes he did “but it never made it to the game” According to him.

The actor also exclaimed how he “want[s] Marvel to leave [him] do a Deadpool 2 game… [in the] same style as not mapped with room for a small cameo from Ryan Reynolds:

“We did. I can’t remember and I won’t… but it never made it into the game and High Moon Studio closed the moment that thing went gold. So I don’t know. I don’t have the ins and outs of… I hope Marvel will let me… I want Marvel to let me do a Deadpool 2 game I want to shoot it I want to direct it And I want it in the same style do as Uncharted I want to make a very narrative game And hopefully get Ryan Reynolds to come in and do a cameo.

As for North, possible cameo in the coming Deadpool 3 movie, the actor stated, “yeah, you never know.”

Could a Deadpool 2 happen?

Deadpool game, cable
High Moon Studios

A Deadpool game sequel would be quite a surprise. But the timing can certainly be favorable and offer a lot of synergy. Plus, maybe the stars would align, and both Nolan North and Ryan Reynolds could team up for maximum hilarity.

A really story-focused game for Merc with a Mouth would be great too. Imagine a complete overhaul in the same vein as 2018 god of war. If that franchise can make such a drastic change, anything is possible.

Unfortunately, fans probably can’t hope for a second Deadpool game. It’s perfectly reasonable to at least keep the dream going.

There are plenty of other Marvel games in the works for those who crave them. there is Marvel’s Midnight Sun, Insomniac’s Spider-Man 2, Wolverineand several unannounced projects, including one to be unveiled at D23.