featured image

pronounced (opens in new tab)Square Enix’s next big RPG, made a pretty positive impression on us when we checked it out in a December 2021 preview session (opens in new tab). The story of a tough young woman from New York City who falls through an interdimensional portal into the fantasy world of Athia promises a stylish mix of action, magic and parkour in a perilous open world, and while we didn’t get to see everything, the pieces the ones we saw were “sick as hell”. Unfortunately, a trailer shared on Twitter yesterday sparked a different kind of reaction.

The trailer shows off 30 seconds of Forspoken gameplay, which seems fine, but it also has lead character Frey Holland describing her newfound circumstances in a snappy, fake infidel tone. “So let me get this straight,” she says. “I’m somewhere I wouldn’t call Earth, I see goddamn dragons, and – oh yes! – I’m talking to a cuff! Yeah, okay, that’s something I do now. I do magic, jacked-up dead beasts, I’ll probably fly next.”

view more