featured image

Every time I look at the TV cabinet I get lazy to see all the space the consoles take up when they could just be an application on my television.

Last week I had a little creative block. Yes, writing two or three device reviews a week is a process that requires focus, data collection and some storytelling, and let’s say I wasn’t very good.

So I took a half-hearted day at home to sort things out that I’ve wanted to change for a long time. I called companies to collect already analyzed devices, I moved things, I threw away boxes… in short, which is a home tuning.

And one thing I did was move the consoles. I already have the ones that have come out on the market and I think they look nice. Not because of the visits, I don’t care because Xbox Series X isn’t very aesthetically pleasing and PS5 looks like a huge router next to the TV, but because of me.

The problem is that during that period of organization, both take up a lot and kept me from putting other things in more aesthetic positions to give the TV cabinet a facelift, organize cables and ultimately optimize the space.

In the living room I also have the Chromecast 2020 and with it Stadia. I use Stadia less than I would like, but when I saw how much it cost me to reorganize the consoles, I saw how little the Chromecast takes up and Digimon Survive arrived (which I have to put on a shelf full of games and figures) to myself… “How tired am I of the physical format”.

And don’t get me wrong, I love seeing my shelf of physical games from both my current consoles and those from my childhood or the PC, but being a staunch defender of the physical format I think the digital is the is best. one I love the most. It fits, and not only for video games, but also for consoles.

Stadia is a platform that will be nurtured for better or worse by its gaming business model, but there are two undeniable things:

🤯The games are visually fantastic because they run on high-end PCs.

The games are fine. Very, very nice.

Like I said, you may like it more or less, but you’ll have next-generation video games, like Cyberpunk 2077 or Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, without having to buy a top-of-the-line PC or a console that, in addition, up to the initial investment, takes up space.

But this isn’t just a Stadia thing. Right now you don’t need Xbox Series X to play Xbox Series X thanks to Game Pass Ultimate.

On your Android, iOS, PC or Mac device, you can access the Microsoft service and yes, the resolution is not 4K and you need a very good connection, but if you meet that requirement you can play Xbox perfectly without buying an Xbox.

What the hell, if it’s even an app on some televisions and you have the platform at home, but also on your mobile with on-screen touch controls or a remote like Razer’s for when you go on vacation to a hotel, for example.

PlayStation is the one that lags a bit here, but with PlayStation Plus Extra you can play certain games (like the ones on PS3) directly via streaming. I streamed FEAR on my PS5 this weekend and hey, it’s going pretty well.

The truth is, as I said, I don’t use Stadia as much as I’d like, but I play a lot from my mobile with the Kishi V2 controller to Xbox Game Pass, for example, and the experience is very good without me worrying, I repeat, buy a console.

So very sorry, the Alex of 2022 would be the Alex that would hate the Alex of a few years ago. And it’s that I wish the hardware would give way to software with a PS6 or an Xbox Series 2 that… well, that, some sort of Chromecast or a simple app on your TV or mobile (it’s a future that, rather or later, wants to arrive).

HOWEVER, and this is the most important, this is my casethat of a person who doesn’t want so many gadgets in the house right now because he has a very good internet connection, but maybe that’s not your case.

And it is that there are areas both in my country and in other parts of the planet that cannot access a 1 Gbps network because it simply does not reach their homes and for these people the hardware is still the only way to access to the video games.

So I don’t want consoles to disappear, but I would like, in my case, in 5 years PS6 to be launched both in traditional console format and in application format for my mobile and television.