featured image

Call Of Duty: Black Ops - does it have the best story?

Where next for Call Of Duty? (photo: Activision)

The Wednesday letters page feels pessimistic about the new Tomb Raider, while another reader laments the death of Project Gotham Racing.

To join the discussions yourself email gamecentral@metro.co.uk

War never changes
It’s really hard for me to worry too much about Call Of Duty’s issues right now, and I say that as someone who, up until Infinite Warfare, bought them every year. However, I didn’t like the Modern Warfare reboot and I’m very dubious about this year’s sequel, so I don’t know what they can do to win people back.

The problem is you just have nowhere to go for the series and I don’t think that’s mostly the fault of the developers at Activision, it’s just the whole first-person military shooter thing that’s been done so many times that there’s nothing left. is. Warzone may have issues with bugs and cheats, but it’s also the problem that Battle Royales get worn out as well.

The same problem can be seen with Battlefield, where all you have to do is come up with new game modes and hope everyone is happy with slightly better graphics. I don’t know what the answer is here, maybe the answer is to continue the games in the future or to make the games more like a tactical squad game, but I don’t think old school Call Of Duty has much more life in it .
Recoil

Extended story
Curious to see what Mortal Kombat 12 will be like as I would have thought that series ran out of ideas years ago and yet it keeps coming back and I’ve enjoyed all the recent ones. They’ve really ramped up the graphics with the last two, so if the new one is just the next generation, that should really be a sight.

You have the eternal problem that all fighting games are basically the same, but if they focus more on the story, as they usually do, then I think there’s still plenty of reason to make a new one. Maybe add some minigames too. People always tell them to make a new Shaolin Monks, but I’m sure they can see how popular that is in a simple side-scroller in the regular games and go from there. Let’s hope it gets announced this year.
banshee

let them fight
Just a small thing, but I’d like to praise the artificial intelligence in Elden Ring. It’s not smart or anything, in the ‘I am alive!’ sense, but I’m constantly impressed by how it does sensible things that I don’t expect. Enemies will chase you for a much greater distance than I would expect, retreating and switching targets.
They also make mistakes. Sometimes they misjudge a job, and technically that might be a bug or something, but it just feels real and organic, like that’s a mistake they’d make in real life.

I especially like it when you can make them fight each other. There is a particularly hard dragon fight in the snowy area towards the end and I got nowhere with it until I realized there are two tentacle monsters nearby that you can trick into fighting the dragon. I barely put a hand on it at the end and watched the three of them go for it. Great game.
Stuey

Email your comments to: gamecentral@metro.co.uk

Keep up
Just a few more days until we get the DLC courses for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Why does it take so long?

Reminds me of the South Park episode of Cartman Waiting for Wii’s release where he’s frozen in ice and thawed on release day so he doesn’t have to wait anymore.

It seems like I’m waiting forever. I only have this feeling with Nintendo games. Okay, Wolfenstein 2 made me feel that way too.

I stopped thinking about the release of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild 2. It will just hurt me too much to wait day to day for its release!

I don’t feel the Hot Wheels DLC on Forza Horizon 5. How come you haven’t rated it yet GC?
Nick the Greek

GC: We rarely review DLC and we have no affinity with Hot Wheels. However, we will cover the new Mario Kart courses.

Superior Racer
I’ve always been saddened by the way Microsoft handled Bizarre and the Project Gotham Racing series. I remember seeing Project Gotham Racing 3 on an SDTV the day I got my Xbox 360 and I was really blown away by how good it looked.

Project Gotham Racing 2 was the game that brought me to Xbox Live, with really creative multiplayer modes like cat and mouse. Project Gotham Racing 3 had a mode where you had a few hours to qualify for a race against humans on Xbox Live. I remember the elation when I qualified for my helmsman, and then the sadness that the connection dropped when the race started.

For some reason, Microsoft seems to have decided not to need it anymore; probably because Forza Horizon was on the way. But for me, racing in Horizon just isn’t enough. In Project Gotham Racing you had to learn the racing lines, take risks to get close to barriers, that sort of thing. In Horizon, you just plow through stone walls or trees with no consequences unless you randomly hit one of the indestructible.

Bring the team back and give us another Project Gotham Racing style game somebody.
EvilMoomin

GC: Not that we disagree with the gist of your comments, but it was Forza Motorsport that took Project Gotham Racing’s place in Microsoft’s schedules. The more arcade Horizon didn’t come until seven years later.

Grim dark future
I enjoyed seeing you recently talking about The Horus Heresy as part of Warhammer love. I am a dilapidated collector of 20 or so and got back into it a few years ago and really enjoy all the rich characters and stories. I don’t actually play but collect and paint. It’s also great that the franchise is now more mainstream – with Disney posting some comments, mainstream toylines, and people like Henry Cavill (Superman himself!) a big fan.

However, I’m still scratching my head as to why there haven’t been any AAA games in the franchise in the past decade (excluding the Total War games that are in fantasy and not in 30/40K settings). I used to love Dawn Of War, but why isn’t anything of such good quality since then? I know there have been several (many) mobile games and I think a few are good on console, but nothing that stands out to me.

What I’d like to see is a 2022 version of Dawn Of War’s Dark Crusade-style campaign. Either real-time strategy or I’d enjoy an XCOM style Killteam setting where you only have five squad members that you highly customize. I know there are repetitions of these ideas, but nothing really GOOD unless I’m wrong (correct me if I am)?

For the Emperor, make it so!
Tom

GC: If Dawn Of War 3 had been a bigger hit, we would definitely have had more of it. However, new games are always coming out, from a bewildering array of different companies. You are correct in suggesting that many are low budget, but Warhammer 40,000: Darktide and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 both look promising and are relatively expensive.

A better peak
I had a weird dream last night about Starfield and Elden Ring, and thought FromSoftware could take the rug completely off Bethesda by turning their next game into a sci-fi game, like The Surge, but no nonsense.

Huge open world planets game, each planet had its own dungeons, dodgy areas and also a space witch named Runni Nodes.
zombie kicker

GC: Their next game will probably be sci-fi, but a new Armored Core probably isn’t what you’re looking for.

She has a butler
I wish I could muster some excitement for the news of a possible new Tomb Raider game, but I can’t.

It’s bad enough the news that there’s no sequel to the most recent movie, which I thought was good in parts. Especially the parts that focused on Lara Croft (Alicia Vikander) and not on her hammy father and his similarly hammy psychopathic nemesis. In short: Alicia Vikander was the best of it. Without her, a future Tomb Raider movie may or may not have to find a phenomenally good actress to improve her portrayal.

The new game, which may or may not be, already sounds awful in concept. The hint that it will feature a female love interest for Lara is the icing on the cake of wickedness. It’s just such a tired idea that last century may have tickled a predominantly male teen game, but now the gay or bi-character has become little more than a cheesy, outdated marketing cliche. Just no.

Just a suggestion: if the game continues, the makers can’t help but offer the voice acting to the aforementioned Alicia Vikander. She may be Swedish, but her English, with a hint of that heritage mixed with a mild Middle Atlantic accent, would be easier to understand for a global English-speaking gaming audience. At least more suitable than an upper class/public school English they are apparently looking for. She is also the right length.
Malcolm Lawn

GC: Not that we’re against Alicia Vikander staying in the role, but we can’t remember anyone complaining that they couldn’t understand the previous Laras. The upper class has been a part of the character from the beginning.

Inbox is running too
Speaking of games slated for release next year and we’ve barely seen any of them, when are we going to take a closer look at Star Wars Jedi: Survivor? I’m hyped to see more Star Wars after that new Andor trailer. What did GC think?
coffee

GC: It looked great, and a night and day difference compared to Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Book of Boba Fett, which now look even cheaper and more amateurish in comparison.

Beat Live A Live and loved it. Always wanted to play the game but don’t want to use a hacked ROM. Never thought there would ever be a remake, but this turned out great!
LHNO

This week’s hot topic
The topic for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader pete216state, who asks what are the best graphics you’ve ever seen on a particular console?

It doesn’t have to be the best graphics ever, just the best graphics in that format. So for example the best looking SNES game or Xbox 360 title. What impact did the graphics have on you at the time, and which games have surpassed that since then?

Was your choice mainly made from a technical or artistic perspective, and if so, how long did it stay at the top?

Email your comments to: gamecentral@metro.co.uk

The fine print
New Inbox updates appear every weekday morning, with special Hot Topic Inboxes on the weekend. Letters from readers are used on a merit basis and can be edited for length and content.

You can also submit your own 500 to 600 word Reader feature at any time via email or our Submit Stuff page, which, if used, will be featured on the next available weekend.

You can also leave your comments below and don’t forget to do so follow us on twitter.

MORE : Games Inbox: Multiplayer in the new Tomb Raider, Horizon Forbidden West DLC and Titanfall 3

MORE: Games Inbox: GTA 6 satire concerns, Tomb Raider second reboot, and Resident Evil 9 speculation

MORE: Weekend Hot Topic: Best Video Game Remasters and Remakes

Follow Metro Gaming on Twitter and email us at gamecentral@metro.co.uk

To make it easier to submit letters to your Inbox and Reader’s Features without sending an email, use our Stuff Stuff page here.

For more such stories, check out our Gaming page.