featured image

Happy Friday, Guardians! Welcome back to one of our favorite segments on Bungie.net, this week’s Community Focus!

I know I say this almost every time I write something here, but it still amazes me that (for those of us reading this) we all found each other thanks to this game. We have our ‘in real life’ moments: graduating from high school, moving house for the first time, finding a partner or even having children. And there’s something special about the fact that many of these moments are also shared in-game with our fireteam, clan and community. So thanks again for sharing these stories with us, and please keep doing so, because we really enjoy writing them.

Okay, enough cheesiness for now. This week we’re hanging out in the UK with an Aussie you might know!

Hello and welcome! First let’s start with your name, pronouns and a little about you.

Day! I’m BonaFideHiro, he/him, but everyone calls me Bona or Hiro, but never Fide… Hmmmm?

I am an Aussie who has moved back and forth from the UK since I was 19 and as of March 2020 we will be in the South of England.

That sounds like quite an adventure! So, what got you into gaming and creating content?

Quite simply, my love of gaming, like many other kids, started when I came home from school to my original PlayStation and Xbox, where my brother and I spent hours escaping the heat of the Australian Outback. It was a great escape for a “weird” kid who avoided hot temps.

My first form of content creation was recording game nights in Halo custom games, where skill didn’t matter but your ability to be wild and have fun. With that, I would upload quick clips and screenshots to social media profiles.

Then came 2020 and during the pandemic I started streaming on Twitch as a free and easy way to record longer content and capture funny moments in Lot 2. I never had any intention of doing more than that at first.

Oh my gosh, I think a lot of us can identify with putting team wipes or 360 no-scopes back in the day. So much giggling and late nights trying to keep quiet, but it was so hard when you were so excited.

So you started with Halo, but what brought you to? Destiny?

I remember seeing Destiny first at E3 in 2013, and as a lifetime Halo fan i so wanted to see the next from bungie after Halo: Range. Then I pre-ordered and got involved in the Destiny open beta in 2014, and that’s how I became the world’s worst teammate in any activity. I was super casual in the game and really had no idea what I was doing most of the time.

Fast forward to 2017 for the launch of Lot 2and my mindset had changed, my skills had improved, and over the years I’ve found my way as a community leader and PvE guide.

Destiny is one of my favorites for that reason. You can jump in without knowing what you “should” do, and you can still complete things, have fun and learn how to improve by playing the game and meeting other Guardians in the wild.

If someone comes to your stream, what kind of content can they expect?

I mainly focus on endgame PvE activities such as raids, dungeons and Grandmaster Nightfalls. I like to do the grind, but for most of the season I spend my time guiding Guardians through Grandmasters, helping them get their base or gold-plated Conqueror Seal, or helping them when the next raid or dungeon comes out. There is nothing more beautiful than helping people show that they are can complete the activities they want to complete.

Sure! As a Guardian who still tends to start their conversations with “I’m sorry, I’m bad, but can you help?” This brings a smile to my heart.

Okay, I have to ask, what’s your most important and your favorite exotic?

I’ve always been a Titan-minded person, running and shooting without thinking. I feel pretty legendary as a Titan since Void and Solar 3.0.

I can often be quoted as saying, “Damn, I forgot I wasn’t wearing Lion Rampants.” Or, “I feel naked without my Rampants.”

Oh god, I have a feeling that could be a glimpse of your channel there. How would you describe the atmosphere of your content?

I can easily sum it up in a few words: crazy, semi-comic, helpful and welcoming.

Whether you’ve been hanging out for a while or just getting started, you can easily feel at home here. I am proud of my first impressions, interacting with my audience in different ways while live on Twitch, and my daily impact. Hearing that someone has been able to escape for a day and smile, even if it used to be because they forced me into a Rocket Launcher and blew up my Guardian – is something that means more to me than I can express.

That’s very neat, Hiro, and I love that you’re not only chatting, but actively interacting with them. What is one thing you should definitely tell Kinderguards when they join the game?

The most important thing I have learned over time is that: Destiny is not a linear game. There is no one way to play the game, and everyone will have different experiences playing and will play for different reasons.

You can play the way you want to play, and do it in a positive way, and everyone wins.

Yes! That’s also one of the things I like to point out. You can be anything you want in Destiny if you are kind to others.

Outside DestinyWhat are you doing?

Outside Destiny and gaming, I’m a new dad to a kickass little guy, codename: “Nugget.”

I spend my time outside of streaming as a broadcast consultant, helping creators and companies become professionals in their own broadcasting.

Is there something fun coming up or are there any events you’re particularly excited about?

I hope to run and kick in my own month-long series of charity flows for Australia’s National Breast Cancer Foundation in October. More specifically to a foundation that helps families and individuals who have to leave home because of treatment. Very precise, I know, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to give back.

And then, besides waiting to re-apply for a Twitch partnership, I’ll keep playing through the seasonal content, helping out, and waiting for our next day-one raid day!

Do you want to add something?

Thank you so much for the chat, Sam, and thank you to the other community managers, the developers, and all the other teams bringing the world of Destiny to happen. You all continue to support me and so many others from every background and walk of life and you have given us a place to meet, love, laugh and cry together. I wouldn’t be who I am without Destiny and the friends I’ve met through it.

Done and done. Thank you for taking the time to hang out with us today. And finally, where can people find you?

*insert jazz hands here*

There we have it! Be sure to check out Hiro’s socials and stream whenever you get the chance. And if you haven’t checked out our latest Community Focus with Pijinnn yet, you can now!

Don’t forget to keep sharing your favorite people on socials. We love meeting new (to us) Guardians and sharing their stories. We wish you all a nice rest of the week and see you next time!

Stay cunning, Guardians

sam

.