Snipers and shotguns shouldn’t be a mode that works in Apex Legends. You either get knocked out by two headshots from across the map or everyone rushes at each other with Peacekeepers – there’s no in-between. But somehow I enjoy it.

Usually I choose an assault rifle and a shotgun. The Flatline is my go-to, but I won’t turn down an R-301 if I get my hands on one either. Recently I also rocked the Marksman weapons. The 30-30 is vastly underrated and I recently channeled my inner Legolas with the Bocek Bow. But now I have no choice. Longbow it is.

Related: Are Business VTubers the Future of Gaming Ads?

I’m not going to be one of those cheap Charge Rifle players – I refuse – and I need some range, so picking up a Longbow and Sentinel is the only option. I hesitated to go in. There’s a reason I don’t play with sniper rifles, and it’s mostly because they’re too all-or-nothing for me. Sure, each shot hits 50 or 60 damage (and twice as much as I hit a headshot), but that depends on one very important factor: that I actually hit my target.

THEGAMER VIDEO OF THE DAY

Tracking down enemies feels easier when you spray a magazine’s heavy ammo on them. Not all of my bullets will land, but will enough to make a mess of an opponent’s armor. In the same time it takes me to unload an AR magazine, I can make three or four snipers, depending on the rifle. They will all miss.

Armed and Dangerous has forced me to practice sniper rifles, and – surprise surprise – I’ve improved. And I actually enjoy the mode. It has its problems; hot-dropping is encouraged and especially at Storm Point that gets boring, and getting knocked out by an opponent you can’t even see is still infuriating. But with a new meta and different crafting rotation, it’s enough of a change to feel refreshing compared to regular battle royale matches. Yet one major problem remains: it is not Control.


Control is Apex Legends best LTM ever. It’s much better than Arenas, which is still a permanent mode for some reason. If you haven’t played it yet, why not? Second, teams of nine compete to capture the flag at iconic Apex POIs. Pick a movement character (or go Caustic and Wattson if you’re boring) and have fun. You automatically respawn when you die, you choose your weapons from pre-set loadouts, there are plenty of changes from the regular Apex formula that make it fast and fun. It’s a fan-favorite mode for a reason, and every day we’re out of Control I shed another tear.

Armed and dangerous should have been a control event. Perhaps it would have been even more annoying to run into a team at the top of the tower in Barometer with Charge Rifles, but you could rush them with nine Peacekeepers and then what are they going to do? Armed and Dangerous usually works in Battle Royale, so it’s time to try it in Control. If it doesn’t work – I’m not claiming to be a game designer – bring back the regular Control next time.

I’m not convinced that Armed and Dangerous would work as an LTM for Control, but it would certainly be a new way to experience Apex’s best mode. Control has ruined all other LTMs for me as none will ever be as good as that 9v9 respawn action. Whether Respawn folds in other LTMs or just replaces them with it, I don’t care. I just want to play Control again and again and again.

Next: Inside The Burger Brigade: Apex Legends Esports’ Rowdiest Fanbase